Sunday, September 20, 2026

"Keep on keeping on," the author says

Affirmations of a Dissenter ~ by C. Joseph Sprague, 2002, theology, 112 pages

"I began to question the literal approach to scripture," Sprague says on page 9.  He affirms his trust in and commitment to unconditional love for all humankind, and dissents from some beliefs and positions long espoused by certain religious institutions, particularly United Methodism, his own denomination.  He deals with issues such as biblical authority, the humanity and divinity of Jesus, and homosexuality, stating what he affirms, where he dissents, and how he suggests change and progress in each case.  He calls people of God to seek to work in the spirit of Jesus, even when  especially when  doing so goes against the culture of the day.  He stresses internal spiritual nurture and external mission and justice-seeking outreach as vehicles for congregational renewal.

Week in Review
  • On Monday, I mused about quotes from a book, HERE.
  • I wrote about Jodi Picoult's newest book on TWOsday, HERE.
  • Wonderful Wednesday's book HERE, was about a paperback book from National Geographic about cats, as I've just taken in another one.
  • My Thursday Thoughts were about the nearby library sending their Book Bike to Crown Center, HERE.
  • My Book Beginnings on Friday, HERE, was about a 646-page book.
  • My new cat's post for Caturday, HERE, mentions using her claws on my sofa.

No comments: