Monday, September 28, 2026

Cold Mountain ~ by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain ~ by Charles Frazier, 1997, historical fiction (North Carolina), 449 pages
Sorely wounded and fatally disillusioned in the fighting at Petersburg, a Confederate soldier named Inman decides to walk back to his home in the Blue Ridge mountains to Ada, the woman he loves.  His trek across the disintegrating South brings him into intimate and sometimes lethal converse with slaves and marauders, bounty hunters and witches, both helpful and malign.  At the same time, the intrepid Ada is trying to revive her father’s derelict farm and learning to survive in a world where the old certainties have been swept away.  Inman is not the man he used to be, as wounded in battle he slowly makes his way home to North Carolina.  His sweetheart, Ada, is no longer a flighty belle but a hard-working farm woman.  Will love be the same?

It has been decades since I read this excellent book, so I've taken it off my shelf to read again.  It will also take me "home" to the mountains where I lived before moving to St. Louis.  I'm from Tennessee, which borders North Carolina. 

No comments: