Thursday, January 25, 2024

I've been reading and thinking

Sacred Tree: Reflections on Native American Spirituality ~ by Judie Bopp, Michael Bopp, Lee Brown, and Phil Lane Jr., illustrated by Patricia Morris, 1984, spirituality, 87 pages, 9/10

This book is a blueprint for living a compassionate and peaceful way of life.  It was created as a handbook of Native Spirituality for indigenous peoples and is now being shared with all members of the human family who desire personal growth.


Quotes from the book:

1.  "...love...expects nothing in return" (p. 43).

2.  "Never speak about others in a negative way, 
      whether they are present or not" (p. 76).

3.  "Listen with your heart" (p. 76).


My 60-year-old son has been best friends with a guy since high school.  The friend died recently, but the really difficult part for that family is that the friend's sister died five days later.  It's also been rough on my son and his wife.  It's hard to lose our friends as we get older.  "Getting old ain't for sissies."  Who said that?  According to the information HERE, Bette Davis said it.  I also found the word that I defined yesterday:  OCTOGENARIAN.

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

How interesting that I wrote about the sacred tree today, and when Alyssa and I had lunch in the Café, she told me today is Tu B'Shvat (15 Shvat), the New Year of the Trees.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am so sorry to hear about your son's friends, what a tragedy for that poor family. I like the idea of the indigenous spirituality, which sounds like a wonderful way to live peacfully.