Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Wearing purple

Warning: When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple ~ by Jenny Joseph, 2022, poetry, 32 pages, 10/10

In "Warning," written in 1961, the poem's respectable middle-aged woman indulges in her fantasy of the gabby old crone with her outrageous clothes and dotty behavior.  It now appears as an illustrated book with drawings by Pythia Ashton-Jewell specially designed to suit its unique character.

Today, I also let Kate borrow my larger book about this poem.  I've blogged about it several times before.  HERE is one of those times.  During a big event today, I sat down with a couple of my friends, and more than one person came over to mention that all three of us were wearing purple.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Purple is my mother's favorite color so she often wears it and I think of this poem when she does.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

When Kate returned the book, she left this comment on a sticky note: "Poignant, Funny, True — Thanks, Bonnie!"