Sunday, October 20, 2019

Remembering Barbara

Barbara Hyman Land
April 13, 1947 — October 14, 2019

Litany of Remembrance

When I see a funny cat picture on Facebook and want to share it,
I'll remember you.
When I go out for pizza as we did the last time we had fun together,
I'll remember you.
When the elevator door opens on the seventh floor of our building,
I'll remember you.
When the friends at "our" table sit around talking after dinner,
we'll remember you.
Because you have been so much a part of our lives at the Crown Center,
we'll remember you.
So long as we live, you too shall live, for you are now a part of us,
as we remember you.
_____________________________________________________________

Mindy 1-15-19
She is also greatly missed by her elderly cat Mindy, whose grief and confusion are palpable.  Mindy will be on her way to Vermont soon, going home with Barbara's beloved Rebecca and her family; their photos covered Barbara's pantry door.

Barbara's obituary can be found here.

I wrote this litany of remembrance for my friend, whose graveside service will be later today.  The poem A Litany of Remembrance by Rabbi Sylvan Kamens and Rabbi Jack Riemer was my inspiration, and the photo at the top was taken on the day before Barbara's 72nd birthday this year.
_____________________________________________________________

Mindy today (click on photo to enlarge it)
Update after the funeral:  This photo is too good not to share.  Rebecca texted it to me, saying, "Mindy decided to use the sink to hide in."  When she sent the text, they had Mindy and were almost to the arch.  Except for her nose, she blends in nicely.  I wish you well, Mindy.  Goodbye, pretty girl.  I'll miss you, too.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am so sorry about your friend and your list of remembrances was lovely. It is so difficult for our pets as they don't understand when their owner goes away.

Unknown said...

beautiful tribute to your friend Barbara. My condolences
Sharon Logan