Saturday, July 6, 2019

Friday Five ~ a day late

RevGal Anne Fraley:  "As the (US) holiday weekend heats up, I’m thinking about ways to stay cool.  You?  Share your preferences in today’s Friday Five!"

1)  Ice cream:  cup or cone?
I'll take either one, but a big bowl of cold ice cream sounds better to me when I'm really hot.
2)  Water:  beach or pool?
Pool, but at 79 years old I'd prefer to soak in a bathtub instead.
3)  Beverage:  tea or lemonade?
Definitely tea ... ICED tea, with lots of ice.  Adding lemonade to my iced tea is okay, but why mess up a good thing?
4)  Relief:  air conditioning, or shade?
Shade, if I have to be outside, but I'll just stay here inside with my air conditioner on high, thank you very much.  It's 90°F in St. Louis and feels like 100°F right now, according to my weather app.
5)  Fun:  fill in the blank!
Reading a book.  I've just finished Elizabeth Berg's 2018 novel Night of Miracles.  Now I want to read (or finish) two nonfiction books (Barbara Brown Taylor's Holy Envy and Jacqueline Winspear's What Would Maisie Do? and the novel I just got from the library (Katherine Marsh's Nowhere Boy).  Maybe I'll soak in the tub (see #2 above) while reading and control the water temperature with my toes as needed.
Hmmm, I ate the last of my ice cream yesterday.  Now I guess I'll have to run out (in the heat!) and buy another carton.  Anne didn't ask which kind of ice cream I prefer.  I rarely eat chocolate (as illustrated above), though I'd eat it in a pinch.  The carton I finally finished off last night was "coyote tracks" (vanilla ice cream with thick fudge swirl and mini peanut butter cups), but my usual is just plain vanilla.  I add whatever I have around, like slices of banana or fresh blackberries or other fruits.  I just happened to have fresh bananas I bought yesterday.  Can you see my smile?

NOTE:  I went back to discover how many years I've been posting Friday Fives on this blog (off and on since 2011), and found I had also written about iced tea when Jan asked us to use the letters of our names on July 15, 2011 to express gratitude.  I used the "i" in Bonnie for Iced tea on a hot summer day.  How funny is that coincidence?

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Speaking of tea, today's blog reading brought me to this one about choosing tea by mood, as well as by flavor. Susannah writes about Tea and Theology: "This delightful collection of tea was a recent gift from loved ones. It includes eight different types of tea that you are encouraged to select based on your mood or the mood you could like to achieve."

https://teaandtheology.com/numi-tea-by-mood/