Friday, June 28, 2019

Beginning ~ with why she wrote the book

Opening lines:
"It was soon after Maisie Dobbs — the first novel in the series featuring psychologist and investigator Maisie Dobbs — was published that I began to receive emails and letters from readers who were intrigued by the 'wisdom' within the pages, especially the continued advice offered to Maisie by her longtime mentor, Dr. Maurice Blanche.  I confess, I had to read through the book again to find those passages readers especially loved."
What Would Maisie Do? : Inspiration from the Pages of Maisie Dobbs ~ by Jacqueline Winspear, 2019, illustrated journal
A one-of-a-kind illustrated companion to the best-selling Maisie Dobbs series, which invites readers into the beloved heroine’s world — and shares her wisdom and inspiration.  Through fourteen books (actually, it is now fifteen), the Maisie Dobbs series has had a resounding impact on fans.  Readers have shared with author Jacqueline Winspear how Maisie’s stories have resonated with them or helped them through difficult times.  Fans have been inspired by the heroine’s resilience and endurance, repurposing her strength in their own lives in a way perhaps best embodied by the phrase "What would Maisie do?"

Anchored by thirty of Maisie's most timeless quotes, coupled with Jacqueline Winspear’s inspiration for each nugget of wisdom, these reflections offer readers additional insight into the world of Maisie Dobbs and invite them to reflect on favorite moments and memories, with prompts for readers' own observations and inspiration.  Here are three:
On the value of respect:  "Liking a person we are required to have dealings with is not of paramount importance.  But respect is crucial, on both sides, as is tolerance and a depth of understanding of those influences that sculpt a character."

On grieving:  "Grief is a pilgrimage along a path that allows us to reflect upon the past from points of remembrance held in the soul.  At times the way is filled with stones underfoot and we feel pained by our memories, yet on other days the shadows reflect our longing and those happinesses shared."

On the importance of departure:  "Leaving that which you love breaks your heart open.  But you will find a jewel inside, and this precious jewel is the opening of your heart to all that is new and all that is different, and it will be the making of you — if you allow it to be."
Backstory on why I have this book:  A couple of weeks ago, I shared the opening lines of Maisie Dobbs (Beginning at the tube station), the first book in the series about Maisie.  There are now fifteen books in the series.  Yes, fifteen, not counting this journal with its illustrations of people and places like Lambeth, where Maisie was born, and Covent Garden, where her father would have brought his horse and cart each day "to stock up with fruit and vegetables to take on his rounds as a costermonger."

What's a "costermonger"? you ask.  Yeah, I had to look it up myself:
As in this old photo, a costermonger is "a person who sells goods, especially fruit and vegetables, from a handcart in the street."
Or the British version:
"...a hawker of fruit or vegetables."
My friend Donna finished the book and liked it so much she bought the whole series. Well, through book #13, so far.  I decided I needed to get THIS book, to explore some of the psychology in the novel(s).  First, I reserved it from the library, where I'd be the first reader of their copy, which was so new they were still processing it.  Instead, Donna and I ordered copies of the book, which arrived yesterday.  I look forward to reading it.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click this link for more book beginnings.

3 comments:

JLS Hall said...

I haven't read any of the Maisie Dobbs books, although I've got a couple of them downloaded on my Kindle. Your quotes have made me even more determined to get them read! Thanks for sharing.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Unbelievably I haven't read any of the Maisie Dobbs books but I want to and I'm sure I'd love this compilation. My Friday quotes

Helen's Book Blog said...

I have enjoyed a number of Maisie Dobbs books and didn't know this one existed. I definitely think the books have nuggets of thoughtfulness and wisdom so this book makes sense. I hope it's good.