Saturday, September 22, 2018

Ailurophile ~ a cat lover

I posted this cat tee-shirt on Facebook in November 2017, saying:
Is this your cat?  Can you imagine it happening?  What is it about cats, anyway?  It seems perfectly possible to me.
My friend Hamilton commented today (45 weeks later):
I am an "ailurophile," no an ailurophile.
Ailurophile combines the Greek word ailouros, which means "cat," and the suffix -phile, meaning "lover."  So an ailurophile is a cat lover.  That's a new word for me.  If you click on the link, you can also hear it spoken.

Hamilton used the same word twice, so she may have meant "ailurophobe" for one or the other.  (No, I didn't know this word, either, until Merriam-Webster informed me.)  This one means "fearing or averse to" cats.  I'm waiting to see how Hamilton responds on Facebook, but she rarely goes there and may never see my response.  Maybe I'll have to call her.

Four hours later, I called Hamilton.  I was right.  She's an ailurophobe.

No comments: