Saturday, October 17, 2015

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon officially started at 7:00 a.m. my time, but I was still asleep.  I had decided NOT to participate this year, but at 11:00 a.m., I saw my first Dewey's post and gave in.  I need to read from my Kindle, since I bought four more books this week.  Okay, I'm off and running!  I mean, reading!

7:00 am.  Zzzzzzzz.  I was still asleep, perhaps dreaming of books.
11:30 am.  Put this together and posted it, fed the cat, ate breakfast.
12:30 pm.  Found where to sign up to participate today.
12:45 pm.  Started reading The Book of Forgiving by Desmond Tutu and his daughter Mpho Tutu.
2:35 pm.  Linked this post to the Pre-Party Post for introductions.
1)  What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I live in St. Louis, Missouri.  Specifically, I live in University City in St. Louis County.
2)  Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?  The Book of Forgiving by Desmond Tutu and his daughter Mpho Tutu, published in 2014, which I'll be teaching in a few weeks.  I picked it up today at Loc 1359, which is 50% into it.
3)  Which snack are you most looking forward to?  I didn't plan anything, but I know I have ice cream in the freezer.
4)  Tell us a little something about yourself.  I did this exact same meme in 2013, saying:  "Reader, writer, blogger, mom, grandmother, great-grandmother, retired pastor, teacher, friend."  That will have to do.
5)  If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today?  If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?  I haven't participated in Dewey's 24-hour marathon since April 2013, but I know I won't push myself as hard this time, partly by skipping all the fun mini-challenges.  The cat who will try to distract me is named Clawdia.
6:30 pm.  Time for a break, so I'll do the Mid-Event Survey.
1.  What are you reading right now?  I switched to a memoir, which is going faster:  The Girls, Alone: Six Days in Estonia by Bonnie J. Rough, 2015
2.  How many books have you read so far?  Parts of two.
3.  What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?  Continuing this "six days in Estonia" memoir, which is also a travel narrative.  I searched and found this online photo overlooking "old town" Tallinn, Estonia.  Now I can also SEE where I'm reading.
4.  Have you had many interruptions?  How did you deal with those?  Only Clawdia, the cat, wanting to eat after a long nap.  I fed her.  Being retired has its advantages.
5.  What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?  How fast the day is going by!  It's already almost dark outside, but I hadn't noticed.
7:30 pm.  Did laundry and worked in the library at the Crown Center, where I live (and volunteer).  It gave me time for some reading while my clothes were in the washer and the dryer.
10:00 pm.  Took a break.
12:30 am.  Still reading, but getting sleepy.

3:00 am.  Okay, here's a mini-challenge I can't ignore.  "Shelfie mini-challenge, just take a picture aka Shelfie of your shelves, or you and your shelves, post it up somewhere and link it below."  So here's the top section of one of my bookshelves at 3:00 in the morning.

11:00 am.  Zzzzzzzz.  Shortly after posting that photo, I fell asleep with the book (actually, the Kindle) in my hand and slept a solid 7-8 hours.  I feel great this morning, partly because I finished one book — The Girls, Alone: Six Days in Estonia by Bonnie J. Rough, 2015, memoir — which I rated 9 of 10, an excellent book.

1 comment:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I like the readathon posts, like yours, that give a somewhat hourly report on what you've been doing.

How beautiful is that picture of Estonia??

I nearly spit out my Coke when I read the name of your cat...CLAWdia. Hahahahaha!

Love the picture of your bookshelves.