Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Two books from friends

Listening for God: Volume 3 ~ edited by Paula J. Carlson and Peter S. Hawkins, 2000 (paperback, 158 pages)
Where do you listen for God?  In this collection of stories and essays, the challenge is to pay attention everywhere.  This book is intended to help readers investigate how life and faith merge in surprising ways and places.  This reader includes eight selections from contemporary American literature, brief author profiles, and reflection questions.  The eight authors in this volume are John Cheever, Mary Gordon, Wendell Berry, Oscar Hijuelos, Reynolds Price, Louise Erdrich, Tess Gallagher, and Tillie Olsen.
Three of us were on our way to a bookstore together last week.  When Betty stepped off the elevator to meet Sheila and me in the lobby of our building, she handed me her copy of this book, thinking it was one I might enjoy.  I think she's right.  The eight short pieces look interesting, and each chapter ends with four or five "Guides to Reflection."

Indigo Children: The New Kids Have Arrived ~ by Lee Carroll and Jan Tober, 1999, psychology paperback, xviii + 249 pages)
This book is a must for the parents of unusually bright and active children.  Indigo children are those who display a new and unusual set of psychological attributes and show a pattern of behaviour generally undocumented before.  In this groundbreaking book on the Indigo Child, international authors Lee Carroll and Jan Tober report the information of this increasingly documented and world-wide phenomenon and tell you how to identify this behavioural pattern and guide you on how you, as a parent or teacher of these children, can help them realise their amazing potential, not forgetting their spiritual needs or specific health issues.
Last week, I ran across an article about Indigo Adults and took a test I found online to see if I was one.  The test informed me:
"Congratulations! You are an Indigo Adult! (100%)."
Years ago, I bought this book about Indigo Children, but figured it was "lost" in one of my unpacked boxes somewhere.  When I saw the same book on my friend Donna's bookshelf, I brightened up and asked, "Have you read this?"  She had not, and added, "It's probably yours."  And it was!  Inside was my "bj" with the date 3/9/2001.  Since I don't believe in coincidences, I figure it's time for me to read this book.  So Donna "gave" it back to me.

Two books from two friends, and both of them are in my Study Buddies group.

2 comments:

Emily said...

After taking the test and discovering that I am an Indigo adult, I am not surprised that you are one, too. I had not heard of this book, but will look for it now. Thanks!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Well, well, my friend, it seems we keep finding ways we are alike, huh?