Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday Mindfulness ~ Socrates Café

As I typed part of this at 5:30 a.m., it's 7°F and feels like -7° here in St. Louis, Missouri.  I'm up early, for me, a night owl who is not overly fond of mornings and may still go back to bed for a few hours.  Early as it is, I'm thinking about Socrates because my friend Emily mentioned a book about him, which I picked up at the library the other day.

Socrates Café: A Fresh Taste of Philosophy ~ by Christopher Phillips, 2001, philosophy (of course)
Christopher Phillips is a man on a mission:  to revive the love of questions that Socrates inspired long ago in ancient Athens.  "Like a Johnny Appleseed with a master's degree, Phillips has gallivanted back and forth across America, to cafés and coffee shops, senior centers, assisted-living complexes, prisons, libraries, day-care centers, elementary and high schools, and churches, forming lasting communities of inquiry" (Utne Reader).  Phillips not only presents the fundamentals of philosophical thought in this "charming, Philosophy for Dummies-type guide" (USA Today), he also recalls what led him to start his itinerant program and re-creates some of the most invigorating sessions, which come to reveal sometimes surprising, often profound reflections on the meaning of love, friendship, work, growing old, and others among Life's Big Questions.  'How to Start Your Own Socrates Café' guide included."
Emily seems a bit intimidated by participating in a Socrates Café, but I think it sounds like fun.  Are you ready to come discuss this book with me, Emily?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Well, you would definitely be someone I could discuss ideas with. We need to Skype !