Thursday, February 12, 2015

Books to be read

Jennifer @ The Relentless Reader hopes some of us will do this "TBR Tag" meme (TBR means books "to be read") that came from Lori @ Palmer's Page Turners.  I decided immediately to do this because of Jennifer's excellent answer to the first question:  "What is this 'keep track' you speak of?"  It could also be my answer, since my unread books don't make a simple "pile," but encompass shelf after shelf after shelf.

1.  How do you keep track of your TBR pile?
I have a bookshelf dedicated to my library books, so I won't lose track of them.  Those are my immediate TBRs.  Other than that, I don't separate books I own into those I've read and those I haven't.  The majority of my books are nonfiction, so I want them where I can find them for reference.  Since I don't keep many novels after I've read them, they usually come from the library.  And their shelf is next to my bed, where I read before falling asleep.
2.  Is your TBR mostly print or eBook?
Mine is all print, since I don't have (or desire) an e-reader.
3.  How do you determine which book from your TBR to read next?
If a library book is due soon and cannot be renewed because others have it on hold, that's the one I choose.  Otherwise, it's simply a matter of what I'm in the mood to read.
4.  A book that’s been on your TBR list the longest?
No idea.
5.  A book you recently added to your TBR?
One I got last week is The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B. by Sandra Gulland, a 1995 novel set in the Dominican Republic and in France.  As you can see in the illustration at the top of this post, it's the first book in a trilogy.  If I enjoy it, I'll also read the other two.
6.  A book on your TBR strictly because of its beautiful cover.
"Strictly"?  Nope, I don't do that.  Some of my books have beautiful covers, but I got them because of the content, not the cover.  I'm not sure why I like this elegant design, but I consider this edition of Lao Tzu's classic book beautiful.  I did not, however, buy the book "strictly because of its beautiful cover."
7.  A book on your TBR that you never plan on reading.
Jennifer had another great response:  "I can't answer this.  My books are listening!"  I love it!  My answer is that I've been culling books.  If I don't plan to read it, I've given it away.
8.  An unpublished book on your TBR that you’re excited for.
I have mostly quit taking books for review and have never done a "tour" of books.  I read what I choose, when I choose, and because I'm in the mood to read it.  Retirement allows me to do that.
9.  A book on your TBR that basically everyone has read but you.
I don't choose books by how many other people like it.
10.  A book on your TBR that everyone recommends to you.
Same answer, though friends occasionally say they liked this or that book they notice on my bookshelf.
11.  A book on your TBR that you’re dying to read.
If I'm dying to read it, then I'm reading it.
12.  How many books are on your Goodreads TBR shelf?
I'm not on Goodreads, but I've been collecting books all my life (almost 75 years old) and have NEVER counted my unread books.
NOTE:  I won't tag anyone in particular, but let me know if you answer these questions on your blog.

1 comment:

The Relentless Reader said...

Thanks for the shout-out!

I'm a fan of culling my books as well. I donate them here and there, or I'll send them to friends that I know would like them.

Hooray for mood reading!