Friday, June 28, 2013

Beginning ~ with a broken heart

The Death of Fidel Perez ~ by Elizabeth Huergo, 2013, fiction (Cuba)
Some fifty years after the 1953 Moncada Army Barracks Raid, at nearly seven o'clock on the morning of July 26th, and at just the moment when the sun's rays rose magically from the edges of the earth, Fidel Perez, who had already ingested a quart of Chispa de tren, the cheapest beer his younger brother Rafael had found on the black market, was nursing a badly broken heart.
This sounds only vaguely interesting to me, so I hope it gets better.  When I opened the book, I read the first two chapters, straight through.  I'm a bit frustrated, since chunks of the words are in Spanish, which I can't read.  I think I probably get the gist of it, but it mostly seems improbable so far.



Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's links (Mister Linky is broken).

6 comments:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

That is the kind of complicated, fact-stuffed opening sentence I love. Although I couldn't read any Spanish bits, so I don't know if I could read the whole books.

Thanks for playing along with Book Beginnings on Fridays!

Rose City Reader

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I'm a new follower!

Helen's Book Blog said...

Like you, the opening sentence doesn't really do it for me. It's funny that Gilion loves that kind of sentence, since it is exactly the type that turns me off :-)

I hope you enjoy the read.

Debra said...

I would probably like this book... with the Cuban culture and all the Spanish inserts. I need to check it out. :)

Thanks / Gracias. :)

debra

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Debra, I actually thought about contacting you to ask what the meaning of the Spanish words and sentences. I probably will.

Debra said...

Sounds good to me. :)