Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday Mindfulness ~ book addiction

This is where I am at the moment.
"Anytime you undertake any idea or project, the first step is to read a lot of books about it."
Yesterday I read a short article entitled "25 signs you're addicted to books," discovered what happens to book addicts who start new projects, and saw myself behind that book.  Only, my titles were Clutter Busting, Voluntary Simplicity, New Day Revolution, 50 Things Your Life Doesn't Need, and Simplify Your Life.  The last three are all by Sam Davidson, and (confession time) I ordered them yesterday.

I didn't need these extra books to help with my project to rid my home of clutter, since I haven't finished Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer (2009), which I got from the library, liked, and ordered.  My own copy arrived a week ago and is energizing me as I read it and do some uncluttering every day.  In the meantime, I found a copy of Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin (1981), which I've had for awhile but never read.  It was among the boxes of books I'm sorting and tossing.  So why would I order three more books about revolutionizing my life, getting rid of stuff, and simplifying?  Here's the surprisingly simple answer.  Because I think like this:
So today's "uncluttering" needs to begin with my way of thinking.  I really really really don't need to keep getting more books.

No comments: