Monday, May 3, 2010

Trial by Journal ~ by Kate Klise, 2001

I wrote about Kate Klise's novel, Trial by Journal (2001), last week when I got it from the library.  The book, illustrated by the author's sister, is told through journal entries, news clippings, and letters.  I was curious about a sixth grader sequestered with a jury "while conducting her own undercover investigation of the case."  I was willing to suspend my disbelief long enough to find out what happens.  Well, I've found out.

Lily's assignment during her time sequestered with the jury is to keep a journal.  She does, even though she is certain teachers never read journal homework after all the hard work done by the students.  Her "undercover investigations" are mostly what she notices going on around her in the jury room and at the hotel where they are kept when not in court.  This young sleuth doesn't exactly rival Nancy Drew, but she would probably be fun reading for elementary school children who enjoy dreadful puns.  Here are some "punny" names:
  • Rhett Tyle is the villain.  (Think "reptile."  Surprise, surprise!)
  • Anna Conda is in cahoots with Rhett Tyle.  (Think BIG snake.)
  • Bernie "Buzz" Ard writes a column called "What's the Buzz."  (Buzzard, geddit?)
  • Perry Keet is missing, presumed killed.  (Think "parakeet.")
  • Mallory Mute, usually called Mally Mute, is the public defender.
  • Golden Ray Treevor is the trial's prosecutor.  (Lawyers are dogs?)
The book didn't exactly excite me, though I did keep reading.  It's one of those "the child is smarter than the adults" books, so a child may rate it higher than I do.  My rating is 6 of 10, above average.

No comments: