Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Cougar Club ~ by Susan McBride, 2010

I won it during Dewey's 24-hour Read-A-Thon, I read it, and I'm not sure why. Three "aging" women in their forties find life again after hooking up with younger (20-something) men.  That's the "cougar" definition, a term that's new to me.  I have no desire to fall into bed with a 20-something boy.  I turned 70 last month and dating a 20-ish boy would be like dating my grandson.  Whatever would we find to talk about?  Or is talking beside the point in books like this?

I did like one part of the book, which is mentioned in the very last sentence on the back of the book:
"True friendship never dies, the only way to live is real, and you're never too old to follow your heart."
And in the last nine pages of the book, one of three women friends -- following her heart -- was ready to open an art gallery and live above it.  Oops, did I just give away a plot element?  Nah, the book is all about the young guys, sex, and getting back together with old friends.  Do I recommend the book?  Nah.

1 comment:

colleen said...

Happy belated birthday, Bonnie. I don't even want to read about 40 year old women sleeping with 20 year old boys. I am finally just getting to Eat, Pray, Love.