Friday, March 14, 2008

A, you're a-DOOR-able

Sara Lewis Holmes, one of my (new) favorite YA authors, blogged about Doors, Doors, Doors on Wednesday, though I didn't read that post until today. From her I learned about a "Doors" project that several bloggers took part in this week, showing doors from all over the world. Sara had a link that took me to the post about My Colonial Doors by Jennifer Thermes, a children's book author and illustrator, whose post Doodles and Doors sent me to Tricia's post about Heavenly Doors. Wait, Tricia's on MY bloglist along with Sara! (Hi, Tricia!) Frank Gardner, an oil painter living in Mexico, has photos of ten and a half Puertas (Doors) ... you'll have to see his half door, which is half the usual width and very unlike the colonial half door in Jennifer's house.

Frank has links to many more a-DOOR-able bloggers, including ones in Finland, France, Norway, Austria, Australia, Canada, the USA, and the UK. Constance, who wrote An Open Door, not only shows us doors from Guatemala and Italy and Texas and Taiwan, she also lists others taking part in the "Doors" project.

And everybody is saying, "Don't miss the Doors of Marrakesh!" I went, I saw, I was conquered by the wonderful Doors of Marrakesh photos taken by Elizabeth, who lives in a 500-year-old house in the medina of Marrakesh. She also offers another list of bloggers showing doors.
What's your favorite memory involving a door?
Or your favorite book with a door in it?
I stole these questions from Sara Lewis Holmes, who shared her answer here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bonnie,
For writing this piece about all the doors, and for the mention! Nice to find you and your site today! I'll be back!

Constance

kenju said...

I will have to look through my photos to see if there are any with doors.

I forgot this on the last comment: I wrote a post early on in my other blog about how blogging is like having pen pals all over the world. I believe that!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Bonnie- This is a lovely post-- thank you for writing it. I'm glad you jumped in and took part! :-)

Unknown said...

Ooh, I must follow those, I find doors so evocative - thanks for the links, Bonnie!

Elizabeth said...

So glad you joined in the doors theme.
you door is very different and wonderful!
All best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Before I left my first husband I had a dream of walking through a golden door. I felt elated and still remember it. My life changed for the better after the dream.

B you're so beautiful. C you're a cutey full of charm.