Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hugo Claus died today

Hugo Claus died today. Just last month I added his most famous book to our list at Book around the World: The Sorrow of Belgium. Thanks to Amy who let me know about his death: Hugo Claus, 1929-2008. Ah, I hear murmuring among my readers. You've never heard of him, have you? Learn about him in this obituary piece in the Herald Tribune: Author Hugo Claus, writer of 'The Sorrow of Belgium,' dead at 78. And here's an article from the Citizen (South Africa) that deals with euthanasia, which Claus chose. Do you want to talk about it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, never had heard of him. Will link to the obit to learn. In the meantime...is that a new header up there? I like it!

PS: Received my copy of "Secret Scroll" yesterday. I'm trying to start it in between setting up my new computer.

Teddy Rose said...

I actually have The Sorrow of Belgium on my TBR. It's very sad, but I am totally for assisted suicide for people who have a terminal disease and are suffering.

I wish we in the U.S and Canada could have this compassionate stance on the issue.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

June,
Yes, it's a new header. (I got my copy of the book on Monday.)

Teddy,
Why are we more compassionate about our pets than about people who are suffering?

Teddy Rose said...

Bonnie,

I think it's that pets are looked at as something we own rather that a living, breathing being. We who love our pets, see it as compassion. The law sees it as just getting rid of / dicarding a possession.

I see all animals as living beings and beleive that all living being should have the choice to escape a terminal disease with dignaty.