Friday, October 30, 2020

Beginning ~ with arrival at the Abbey

"The taxi-cab slowed down alongside the gates of Camden Abbey, a red brick former mansion that seemed even more like a refuge as a bitter sleet swept across the gray, forbidding landscape."
Messenger of Truth ~ by Jacqueline Winspear, 2006, mystery (England)
London, 1931. On the night before the opening of his new and much anticipated exhibition at a famed Mayfair gallery, Nicholas Bassington-Hope falls to his death.  The police declare it an accident, but the dead man's twin sister, Georgina, isn't convinced.  When the authorities refuse to conduct further investigations and instead close the case, Georgina takes matters into her own hands, seeking out a fellow graduate from Girton College:  Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator.  The case soon takes Maisie to the desolate beaches of Dungeness in Kent, and through the sinister underbelly  of the city's art world.  But to solve the mystery of the artist's death, she will have to remain steady as the forces behind his fall come out of the shadows to silence her.



Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for more book beginnings.

2 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Enjoy! I love this series and am almost caught up. The American Agent is in my reading pile now...and then I can look forward to the newest Maisie Dobbs title.

Literary Feline said...

I have never tried this series before, but my husband, who read the first book thinks I would like it. He didn't care for it personally though, which I think is why I hesitate. But I keep reminding myself that he has extremely picky tastes when it comes to books and what I like doesn't always reflect in what he likes.