Sunday, October 4, 2020

Books on time travel and paradoxology


The Time Traveler's Almanac ~ edited by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer, 2013, science fiction
I'll start this one today.  This thick volume is the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled.  It compiles more than a century's worth of literary travels into the past and the future, with beloved classics and contemporary innovations. It includes nearly seventy journeys through time from authors such as Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Ursula K. Le Guin, Michael Moorcock, H. G. Wells, and Connie Willis, as well as helpful non-fiction articles original to this volume (such as Charles Yu's Top Ten Tips For Time Travelers). The book itself is like a time machine, covering millions of years of Earth's history from the age of the dinosaurs through to strange futures, spanning the ages from the beginning of time to its very end.

Paradoxology ~ by Miriam Therese Winter, 2009, science and religion, 8/10
I just finished reading this one today.  Here are a couple of quotes I like:  "A quantum universe is telling us that we are all connected, that the God of one is the God of all, that the suffering of any of Earth's people or any part of the planet is a desecration to us all" (loc. 94).  "How would our lives have been different, how would the world and the church have evolved, if women had been praised, not blamed, for taking the initiative, for wanting to know good from evil, for wanting to be more like God?  We might have had peace on earth by now if women had been applauded, rather than berated, for choosing to be fully human" (loc. 224).

1 comment:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen of Helen's Book Blog commented:
"I'm not big into reading about time travel, but I know it's a popular topic for many of the book bloggers I read. I hope the book is a good read!"

Just as I clicked PUBLISH, my computer screen jerked so that I hit DELETE instead. So I'm publishing it this way. Sorry, Helen. I'm tired of our devices having a mind of their own and doing strange things like this.