Friday, September 7, 2018

Beginning ~ with thoughts of graduation

"My daughter, Ellen, will graduate from high school this year.  The closer we get to graduation, the harder the past is coming at me, kicking like a living creature and forcing its way back into my life.  With it, it brings happy memories but also those that were gladly forgotten ― including the memory of how I lost my Ellen seventeen years ago, then found her again."
The Memory of Butterflies ~ by Grace Greene, 2017, fiction (Virginia)
Hannah Cooper’s daughter is leaving for college soon.  The change is bittersweet.  A single mother since the age of eighteen, Hannah isn’t eager to confront the pain of being alone, but she’s determined not to let her own hang-ups keep Ellen from the future she deserves.  As Ellen’s high school graduation approaches, Hannah decides it’s time to return to her roots in Cooper’s Hollow along Virginia’s beautiful and rustic Cub Creek.  With the help of longtime friend Roger Westray, Hannah devotes her energies to building a new house on the site of the old family home, destroyed in a fire more than a decade ago.  But Hannah’s entire adult life has revolved around one very big secret.  And her new beginning comes with unanticipated risks that will cost her far more than she could have imagined — perhaps more than she can survive.  When a confrontation forces Hannah to expose her secret, the truth may destroy her beloved daughter.  Hannah is prepared to sacrifice everything to protect her family, but can their lives and their bond withstand the seismic shift that’s coming?
I just noticed that I've recently bought TWO "butterfly" books for my Kindle.  The other one is The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley (2012), which I may share with you next Friday.  Surprisingly, that other one begins with a SON off at college.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's Linky.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

This book seems timely for me. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.