Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Library Loot ~ February 13-19

Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind ~ by Valerie Hobbs, 2012, middle grade (MG) fiction
Minnie McClary is the new girl and knows that she doesn't quite fit in, especially not after she lost it one day in language arts.  In art, Minnie has to paint a self portrait — but how can she do this when she doesn't even know who she is anymore?  Things aren't great at home, either.  Her uncle Bill is building a huge replica of the Apache helicopter he flew in Iraq, and her father has blown some sort of whistle and has to start over in a new job.  Then Miss Marks takes over Minnie's language class and encourages students to think critically about everything.  They write their thoughts and questions in journals, marking the most private entries For Your Eyes Only.  Minnie and her classmate Amira are inspired, but some people in town wonder why Miss Marks is encouraging students to ask these questions and just what, exactly, she's teaching.  When a group of angry parents demands Miss Marks's suspension, Minnie finds herself asking a lot of questions — and figuring out what she has the power to change.
My friend Donna is the one who actually checked this book out of the library, but this morning she handed me the book, when she finished reading it, saying, "This one's a ten!"  That's high praise from her.  Since the two books I have on hold have not yet come in, this middle grade novel will be my one and only "loot" today.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire @ The Captive Reader and Marg @ The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages us to share titles of books we’ve checked out of the library.  Add your link any time during the week, and see what others got this week.

6 comments:

Kay said...

What a cute book. It sounds like it would be a really good book, one of those books where I would tell my nieces they have to read it.

Enjoy your loot!

Helen's Book Blog said...

My daughter is reading this book right now and is really liking it. Val Hobbs lives in Santa Barbara and I teach with her husband so I'll pass on the accolades right now!

alisonwonderland said...

I hadn't heard of this one. It sounds terrific!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

You know Val Hobbs? Great! I'm about ready to go to bed and read the book, possibly finishing it before I actually sleep.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I love getting such enthusiastic book recommendations from friends! Enjoy!

Linda said...

I'll keep an eye for this one. I love a good recommendation! Enjoy.