Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Library Loot ~ November 23-29

My Sister's Voice ~ by Mary Carter, 2010, fiction (Pennsylvania)
At twenty-eight, Lacey Gears is exactly where she wants to be.  An up-and-coming, proudly deaf artist in Philadelphia, she's in a relationship with a wonderful man and rarely thinks about her difficult childhood in a home for disabled orphans.   That is, until Lacey receives a letter that begins, "You have a sister.  A twin to be exact..."  Learning that her identical, hearing twin, Monica, experienced the normal childhood she was denied resurrects all of Lacey's grief, and she angrily sets out to find Monica and her biological parents.  But the truth about Monica's life, their brief shared past, and the reason for the twins' separation is far from simple.  (Author's web site and post by author.)
Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited ~ by Elyse Schein and Paula Bernstein, 2008, memoir
Elyse Schein had always known she was adopted, but it wasn’t until her mid-thirties while living in Paris that she searched for her biological mother. When Elyse contacted her adoption agency, she was not prepared for the shocking, life-changing news she received: She had an identical twin sister. Elyse was then hit with another bombshell: she and her sister had been separated as infants, and for a time, had been part of a secret study on separated twins.

Paula Bernstein, a married writer and mother living in New York, also knew she was adopted, but had no inclination to find her birth mother. When she answered a call from the adoption agency one spring afternoon, Paula’s life suddenly divided into two starkly different periods: the time before and the time after she learned the truth.  (Book trailer.)
Library Loot is a weekly meme co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.  Claire has the Mister Linky this week, if you'd like to share a list of the loot you brought home.  You may submit your list any time during the week.

7 comments:

Sean Wright said...

Bonnie, it could be just me, but I sense there's a theme you are hinting at with your choices :)

Helen's Book Blog said...

Both of these sound so interesting! I'm adding them to my TBR list

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Hi Sean, ya think? I learned about one when I learned about the other, so I put both on reserve at the library. Then I discovered -- on my own dining table -- that my roommate had gotten THIS one from the library:

Runaway Twin ~ by Peg Kehret, 2009, YA fiction, 10/10

So I read it before I even picked up these two. Now, the "theme" is impossible to miss, huh?

Helen, if you are reading those two, I highly recommend this "twin" book by Peg Kehret as well. Even better for you, it's a YA novel and may already be in your library. Notice I rated it 10 of 10.

FYI, Sean and Helen, I have daughters who are identical twins, so I always notice books and articles about twins.

Christine said...

Wow. Both of your books sound fascinating, albeit a bit heartbreaking. That's crazy that your roommate brought home a similar themed book!
Enjoy your reads, Bonnie.

Anonymous said...

Both sound very interesting. Enjoy your books, Bonnie!

Jen C said...

I just added both of these to my TBR list. They both look very interesting.

Enjoy your loot and thanks for sharing!

My Library Loot

TP said...

What great choices - and like someone else said, they sound heartbreaking though. I hope they have happy endings.