Saturday, May 15, 2010

Book shopping ~ at a yard sale

This photo is deceptive, because the slipcase for this folio-sized book (15 inches tall by over 11 inches wide and weighing over eleven pounds) is almost 2-1/2 inches thick!  Guess what it cost me today at a yard sale?  One dollar for a book that is in near fine condition.  When I got home, I checked online for information. One copy -- with "water damage, mildew, a few scuff marks, and curled pages" -- is listed by an online seller at $10.  Most of the ones I found have "dust jackets" and range up to $150 (from a US bookseller) to $168.24 (US dollars, from a French bookseller) to $178.11 (US dollars, from an Australian bookseller).  The copy that says it is "enclosed in a pictorial slipcase" like mine is listed at $75 from a bookseller in Memphis, TN.  I'd say I made a good purchase today.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

And how can you go wrong with Da Vinci?! You must feel all smug and proud of yourself!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ouch! Smug? Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way, but as a bookseller, I am please to find a book I can afford to sell. Then maybe I can afford to buy another NEW book or two, as you did yesterday.

Color Online said...

Love those kind of deals. Yay, for you!