Sunday, March 10, 2024

See Rock City

I was surprised to find a 38-page Rock City
advertising booklet in our Crown Center's tiny library this past week, so I checked it out and read it, grinning all the way.  For those who don't know, Rock City is located on Lookout Mountain just outside of Chattanooga, Tennessee.  And that's my hometown.  I raised my children on Signal Mountain, on the other (the north) side of the Tennessee River that runs between the two mountains.

I remember seeing
bird houses painted red with "See Rock City" on the black roof and barns with the same color scheme.  This barn says, "See 7 states from Rock City."  Are those still part of their advertising?  I didn't see bird houses or barns in this little booklet, so neither may be part of the current advertising.

I have no idea who may have donated the booklet to Crown Center (many hours away in St. Louis), but I had fun reading it and remembering actually visiting the place.  Lookout Mountain is also famous for the Civil War's Battle above the Clouds, another tourist draw.

A quote from the Clean Speech reading for today:  "If you were dealing with some crisis, like a stolen car or a sick child, wouldn't you expect your friends to have a little bit of compassion for you?  Of course you would.  So if you recognize that everyone around you is in the midst of some challenge of their own, shouldn't you have a little bit of compassion for them? . . . Everyone struggles" (p. 27).  Everyone needs compassion.

Deb at Readerbuzz hosts the Sunday Salon

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What a lovely place to visit! My husband, who has a deep affinity for rocks, would especially enjoy stopping there.

Yes, we all need kindness, I think. Even people who act like all is wellm even people who are cruel themselves (perhaps them more than anyone else?)...all of us need kindness and compassion and a bit of our time.