Friday, March 1, 2024

Beginning ~ with stage directions

BEGINNING

No curtain.
No scenery.
The audience, arriving, sees an empty stage in half-light.

Our Town: A Play in Three Acts ~ by Thornton Wilder, 1938, (Foreword by Donald Margulies, 2003; Afterword by Tappan Wilder, 2003), drama classic, 204 pages

Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim.  This Pulitzer Prize–winning drama of life in the town of Grover 's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic.  It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.  This edition includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material in the Afterword.

I noticed this on one of my bookshelves the other day and decided to re-read it.  I'm not sure I want to read all the other stuff in this copy, however, so I may skim some of those parts.
Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.

1 comment:

Kym said...

This book was on my kids' school reading lists but I never read it myself, and I'm not sure any of my kids did either! Someday I suppose I should pick it up. Happy Reading!