Sunday, October 1, 2023

Mathematics on a book blog? It's in a book, isn't it?

Five Equations That Changed the World: The Power and Poetry of Mathematics ~ by Michael Guillen, 1995, physics, 288 pages
  1. Isaac Newton and the Universal Law of Gravity
  2. Daniel Bernoulli and the Law of Hydrodynamic Pressure
  3. Michael Faraday and Law of Electromagnetic Induction
  4. Rudolf Clausius and the Second Law of Thermodynamics
  5. Albert Einstein and the Theory of Special Relativity
When this book was published, Dr. Michael Guillen was an instructor at Harvard University and was known to millions as the science editor of ABC's Good Morning America.  In this book, he unravels the equations that have led to the inventions and events that characterize the modern world, one of which — Albert Einstein's famous energy equation, E=mc2 — enabled the creation of the nuclear bomb.  Also revealed in the book are the mathematical foundations for the moon landing, airplane travel, the electric generator, and even life itself (according to the blurb on Amazon). 

Publishers Weekly praised the book as "a wholly accessible, beautifully written exploration of the potent mathematical imagination," and named it a Best Nonfiction Book of 1995.  Okay, I'm ready to start reading it.

* Footnote:  Since my move, I'm finding old stuff that's been "buried" among my thousands of books for ages.  Some of you may be surprised that I am excited to find this book on my shelves.  I guess I haven't mentioned lately that I studied all the math and science I could work in during my school years.  I even have a favorite number (which I have mentioned previously on this blog).  And when I sat on my mother's lap while she read me nursery rhymes, I wanted her to read me the page numbers, too.

Deb Nance at
Readerbuzz
hosts The Sunday Salon.

6 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I remember being totally bored with numbers as a child. "2 + 3 = 5?" Always? No exceptions? It did not feel interesting to me. It was simply learning all the rules. Tedious.

It was only after I became a fifth-grade teacher that I learned to love the fun of math. We played with math after lunch some days, and I saw that, like with words (my preferred language) math, too, could be a game.

stacybuckeye said...

I love the picture on the cover :) I love finding old books that have been forgotten.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

That's so interesting that you wanted your mom to read you the page numbers! I don't think I've ever heard of a little child asking for that before.

Joy said...

That does sound like an interesting book. I'm glad that you found it again!

Helen's Book Blog said...

From the cover, I'm going to guess that this book is somewhat older. I wonder if it was written today they would include some women mathematicians whose work has made big impacts.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Yes, Helen, it was published in 1995, which follows the title and author's name above.