Friday, October 28, 2022

Beginning ~ with an inheritance

Beginning 

I shoved my head under the pillow and groaned.  It was six a.m.  I could easily remember the days when I could sleep until 9 or 10.  "Those were the days," I said ruefully, even though in reality, it had only been a few months prior; and besides, twenty-five was much too young to be ruing the day.

When my mother's only sister, Aunt Alice, had passed away three months ago, I'd been surprised to learn that I had been remembered in the will.  When I had first heard the news, I thought that she might have left me some much-needed cash or perhaps a piece of heirloom jewelry to remember her by.  I'd gone to visit Alice many times during my summers as a teenager.  She'd been tough and opinionated, and I could see myself in her shoes as an adult.

When the lawyer had said "Maeve Kincaid, being my only niece," at the reading of the will, I'd perked up, wondering what I would get.  Numerous wonderful possibilities crossed my mind.

I would never have guessed that it would be a food truck.

Murder to Go (Food Truck Mysteries #1) ~ by Chloe Kendrick, 2015, cozy mystery, 149 pages, 6/10

Maeve Kinkaid expects a few speed bumps when she inherits a food truck from her aunt; instead, she gets a detour through some deadly hairpin turns.  Despite the sudden loss of her aunt, Maeve Kinkaid is thrilled when she inherits the popular food truck Dogs on the Roll.  She has no idea how cutthroat the food industry can be.  She meets a Basque chef whose interest in her is overshadowed by his desire to possess the food truck, which he insists Maeve’s aunt promised to leave to him.  And when the owner of a rival food truck is decapitated and served up like a gruesome new dish, Maeve becomes embroiled in a mystery that may cost her the food truck, the chef, and her life.

This is another book I found on Donna's Kindle, and it looked somewhat interesting to me.  So I read the short (149-page) book.  Donna rated it 3 stars (of 5), like my 6/10.

3 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Clever setting for a murder plot. Hmm. Sounds delightful.

My Friday post

Cindy said...

This sounds fun! I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

You had me with Food Truck Mysteries on the cover. I'm reading this one! Thanks for sharing it.