Sunday, May 6, 2018

Sunday Salon ~ friends, bookshops, and books

Old Friends

My friend Ginny sent me a card for my recent birthday that says, "We're much too young to be this old."  I think Snoopy would like it ... I mean, Joe Cool would like it.  Just for the record, Ginny is older than I am, by a few months, anyway.  We've been good friends since the summer before I started high school in 1955.  Marching band practice started in August, with Ginny on clarinet and me on glockenspiel.  Wow!  That's 63 years!

New Friends

Sheila, Donna (behind), and Bonnie walking the Labyrinth
Yesterday was World Labyrinth Day, and four of us walked the nearby labyrinth together at First Presbyterian Church on Delmar:  Sheila, Donna, Bonnie, and Juleta.  These three are "newer" friends than Ginny, though Donna's been my best friend for two decades.

Donna and Juleta continued on after Sheila elected to walk over the inlaid bricks delineating the "paths" of the labyrinth to sit down for awhile.  We spent an hour at the labyrinth, walking and talking while my friends got to know each other.  It was a very good day.

On my Kindle ~ favorite quote

The Bookshop Book ~ by Jen Campbell, 2014, travel, 8/10
"One day at the bookshop I got a call from a lady who had spied a collection of nature tales on our online inventory.  She used to have the book when she was younger, she said, but her mother had sold her copy at a jumble sale forty years ago without her permission, and recently she'd been hoping to track down a copy to read to her grandchildren.  She'd never forgotten the beautiful colour plates ... She was thrilled to find we had a copy.  I packaged the book up and posted it to her.  The next day she called me back.  I quickly realised she was in tears, and I worried that the book might have got damaged in the mail. ... But it turned out that the book I had posted to her was her book:  the actual copy, with the inscription in the front from her great aunt, and one of the corners bumped from where she'd dropped it down the stairs when she was seven.  Forty years ago, some 200 miles away, her mother had sold the book, and somehow we'd come across it and somehow she'd come across us, and there she was, reunited with her very own book.  It's moments like this that make bookselling one of the best jobs in the world" (loc. 1412).
Library Loot

Living with a Wild God: A Nonbeliever's Search for the Truth about Everything ~ by Barbara Ehrenreich, 2014, memoir, 8/10
This book will change the way you see the world.  Barbara Ehrenreich, one of the most important thinkers of our time, was educated as a scientist.  She's an author, journalist, activist, and advocate for social justice.   From childhood, she set out to find "the Truth" about the universe and everything else:  What's really going on?  Why are we here?   In middle age, she rediscovered the journal she had kept during her tumultuous adolescence, which records an event so strange, so cataclysmic, that she had never, in all the intervening years, written or spoken about it to anyone.   It was the kind of event that people call a "mystical experience" — and, to a steadfast atheist and rationalist, nothing less than shattering.
I've been skimming back through this book that I first read in December of 2014.

More Sunday Salon posts are on Facebook

4 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I love that you all walked a local labyrinth. And that quote from the bookshop book? Wonderful?

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I love the quote from the bookseller book. I want to walk a labyrinth. Where is Delmar? Did you pray as you walked it?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

My friend Debra posted this link on Facebook, saying it's a good website about labyrinths:
https://labyrinthsociety.org

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Hi, Anne. I should have mentioned the location a bit better. This labyrinth is at First Presbyterian Church, 7200 Delmar Blvd, University City, MO 63130. It's easier to say simply that it's in "St. Louis, Missouri." U-City (as locals call it) is a suburb of St. Louis that's outside the city limits and in St. Louis County. If you click on the link i posted in my comment above this one, there's a locator that may help you find a labyrinth near where you live.

To answer your other question, I did NOT pray as I walked it this time because I was concentrating on helping Sheila. See in the photo that she's hanging onto my hand, while using a quad-cane in her other hand. I was carrying an extra cane, in case anyone needed it on the grassy slope. You can see in the photo of Donna and Juleta that it's a little bit steep for older folks like us.