Friday, November 6, 2015

Beginning ~ with suicide bombers

The Preface to the paperback edition of No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam by Reza Aslan (2006) begins with this sentence:
"Long before the stench of charred rubber and twisted metal had evaporated into the crisp London air on that dreadful morning of July 7, 2005, when four British Muslims obliterated themselves and fifty-two bus and tube passengers during the height of rush hour, it was clear that a new front had been opened in the ongoing battle against Islamic terrorism, also known as jihadism."
I've read Reza Aslan's Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth (2013) and heard him speak here in St. Louis last year, so I grabbed this book when I saw it on the shelf at a used book store.  Whoever had it before either read very carefully or didn't read the book at all.  It's in excellent condition, and I look forward to learning more about Islam, Muslims, and jihadism.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Interesting beginning - not sure it's my kind of book but I hope you enjoy it. I think it takes a certain kind of person to become a jihadist so I hope you share your thoughts about the book with us later. Here's My Friday Post