Friday, January 23, 2015

Beginning ~ after the verdict

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey ~ by Alison Weir, 2006, historical fiction (England)
14th November 1553
It is over.  My trial has ended, and I am now back in the Tower of London, this place that was once my palace and is now my prison.
Sounds interesting to me.  I assume the story will tell me about her palace, her trial, and why she's in prison.  I've enjoyed novels by Alison Weir before, and I look forward to this one.  Summary:
"I am now a condemned traitor ... I am to die when I have hardly begun to live" (p. 3).  Lady Jane Grey — "the Nine Days' Queen" — is a fifteen-year-old girl who unwittingly finds herself at the center of the religious and civil unrest that nearly toppled the fabled House of Tudor during the sixteenth century.  The child of a scheming father and a ruthless mother, for whom she is merely a pawn in a dynastic game with the highest stakes, Jane Grey was born during the harrowingly turbulent period between Anne Boleyn's beheading and the demise of Jane's infamous great-uncle, King Henry VIII.  With the premature passing of Jane's adolescent cousin, King Edward VI, comes a struggle for supremacy fueled by political machinations and lethal religious fervor.  Honest and exceptionally intelligent, Jane has no ambitions to rule, preferring to immerse herself in books and religious studies.  She is forced to accept the crown, setting off a firestorm of intrigue, betrayal, and tragedy.  Power-grabbing swirls around Lady Jane Grey from the day of her birth to her unbearably poignant death.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

2 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I love historical fiction, so this book is one I'd definitely enjoy. The opening is compelling. Even if I'd never heard about Henry VIII, I'd want to know more about this character.
My Friday post features FINDING SOUTHERN COMFORT.

SherryGLoag said...

How interesting that the author chose to write this in the 1st person.
If I Loved You. is my offering for this week.