Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday Salon ~ three generations

Book just finished
The Enoch Factor: The Sacred Art of Knowing God ~ by Steve McSwain, 2010, religion, 9/10
Best quote:  "Is attending your church, synagogue, mosque, or temple helping you be a better and more compassionate person, spouse, neighbor, employee, and employer?  Is it leading you to understand yourself, to know what ego has done and is doing in you, your thinking, your relationships, and so forth, to experience a transformational shift in consciousness, 'to over come the world,' as Jesus put it?  If not, then my advice is this:  Stop going!  Go somewhere else or find another religion altogether.  Better yet, give up on reeligion entirely" (p. 191).
Currently reading
Writing a Woman's Life ~ by Carolyn G. Heilbrun, 1988, women's studies
Description:  "In this modern classic, Carolyn G. Heilbrun builds an eloquent argument demonstrating that writers conform all too often to society's expectations of what women should be like at the expense of the truth of the female experience.  Drawing on the careers of celebrated authors including Virginia Woolf, George Sand, and Dorothy Sayers, Heilbrun illustrates the struggle these writers undertook in both work and life to break away from traditional 'male' scripts for women's roles."
Up next?
Revelations: Diaries of Women ~ edited by Mary Jane Moffat and Charlotte Painter, 1974, women's studies
After typing the information about Writing a Woman's Life (above), I slipped it back onto the shelf with my books on women's studies.  That's when I noticed I had shelved it beside a book about women's diaries.  Synchronicity, since I don't have a particular order within my broader categories:  theology, scriptures of the world's religions, women's studies, etc.  It would make sense to read it next, but it's over 400 pages long so not likely one I'll want to read right away.  I may choose a novel, for lighter reading, or maybe.......
More likely up next
The Great Transformation ~ by Karen Armstrong, 2006
--- or ---
The Case for God ~ by Karen Armstrong, 2009
Since I'm studying Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong (2010) with my Book Buddies group, I'll probably read one of these two books by Karen Armstrong which are on my bookshelves.  If I can find them after the move, that is.
GENERATIONS
When asked where he was going to put his new baseball trophy, my 3-year-old great-grandson Jaxon said, "Next to my soccer trophy."  He loves playing sports.

This one speaks for itself, except to add that she's my granddaughter.

One of my daughters and her husband have been married 34 years, as of yesterday.

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your three generations of reading idea. would you mind if at some point in the future I used that to structure a Sunday Salon post?

Karen

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Sure, Karen (BookerTalk), go ahead and use the idea. In this week's Sunday Salon, I not only have "three generations" of books (just finished, currently reading, and next up), but I also included three (actual) generations of my family, not all in the same branch of my family tree -- I have three children, who have these branches:

Great-grandson Jaxon
Granddaughter
Daughter