Tuesday, May 27, 2014

50 years ago today ~ my dad died

Similar to my dad's grave, but 50 years later.
FLOWERLAND

When Grandpa got died
Us went to him's house
But he wasn't there.

Then Mom let us go
To a beautiful place
With flags everywhere.

But the prettiest spot
Was all covered with flowers
With some up on stands.

We liked it so much
That we asked to go back
To see Flowerland.

BSJ  6-1-64

My dad died on May 27, 1964, exactly 50 years ago today.  We had to hurry to bury him that year, before the Memorial Day weekend.  As I was going through an old box yesterday, I found a 3x5 card on which I had typed this poem.  Using some of their own words, I wrote it from the viewpoint of my twin daughters who had turned four that month.  My son was only 11 months old.  Fifty years ago.  Half a century.  Hard to imagine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. My dad died today 11 years ago.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The verse strikes me as rather sappy now, but I was only 24 with three pre-schoolers and thought that way at the time — maybe under the influence of mostly talking to toddlers.