Friday, January 10, 2014

Beginning ~ with the fall of Jerusalem

The Dovekeepers ~ by Alice Hoffman, 2011, fiction (Israel)
We had been wandering for so long I forgot what it was like to live within walls or sleep through the night.  In that time I lost all I might have possessed if Jerusalem had not fallen:  a husband, a family, a future of my own.  My girlhood disappeared in the desert.
Someone (in a Facebook group I'm in) posted this question:  "What book has impacted you these past few years?"  One woman wrote simply, "The Dovekeepers."  So I moved it to the top of my TBR stack.

Masada today (click to enlarge photo)
This book is not set in modern Israel, but in 70 CE, when nine hundred Jews held out for months against Roman armies on Masada, a mountain in the Judean desert.  The ancient historian Josephus says two women and five children survived.  This novel recounts a tale of four bold and resourceful women, who are all dovekeepers.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

3 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Sounds like a great read! I am going to check this out. My post is about the Holocaust...

Here is my post!

Elizabeth said...

This sounds quite moving. I have seen it around but never gotten to it.

THANKS for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

JC Jones said...

That sounds like a book that may be hard to read and may not have a great ending.