Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Salon ~ too many books

BOOK TWINS

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why ~ by Bart D. Ehrman, 2005
"This book is about ancient manuscripts of the New Testament and the differences found in them, the scribes who copied scripture and sometimes changed it. ... It is written for people who know nothing about textual criticism but who might like to learn something about how scribes were changing scripture and about how we can recognize where they did so."
See this book?  It has a twin, stacked right here in the same room.  It was only when I happened upon this post about acquiring the book in 2012 that I realized I'd bought the same book again while shopping with my out-of-town book friend Norice last week.  Yep, I bought a book I already had.  I even bought it from the same bookstore.   Both volumes were published by HarperSanFrancisco, but one is 9x6" (left) and the other is 8x5.3" (right).  The larger edition is easier to read, with slightly larger letters.  But my new one, the smaller one, has a Plus: Insights, Interviews, and More section at the back.  The little one also has the worst feature dreamed up by a book designer — that cut-out with the medieval copyist showing through.  I hate it because it makes the book less sturdy and more easily torn.  With all the physical differences, I guess these books are fraternal twins.  Ha!

BOOKS to the left of me, BOOKS to the right of me

How to Know God: The Soul's Journey Into the Mystery of Mysteries ~ by Deepak Chopra, 2000
According to Chopra, the brain is hardwired to know God.  The human nervous system has seven biological responses that correspond to seven levels of divine experience.  These are shaped not by any one religion (they are shared by all faiths), but by the brain's need to take an infinite, chaotic universe and find meaning in it.  This book describes the quest each of us is on, whether we realize it or not.  As Chopra puts it, "God is our highest instinct to know ourselves."  This book makes a dramatic and enduring contribution to that knowledge.
While looking for the Misquoting Jesus book that I knew had to be in the stacks of books beside my desk, I found this one by Deepak Chopra.  My friend Jane had asked me a couple of days ago if I'd read any of his books, which she discovered this month.  I pulled this one out of the stack and called her.  She really likes what he writes, and this was the second of three Deepak Chopra books she's already finished reading.  I agreed to read it now so we can discuss it, and she's planning to re-read it so this particular one will be fresh in her mind.  Have you read any books by Deepak Chopra?

Obviously, I have too many books if I buy duplicates without knowing it and discover others I've forgotten I have in my piles.

The Sunday Salon's Facebook page has links to other blogs.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

That's really funny that you have bought the same book twice (and from the same store!). Even better is that you haven't read it yet, right? Maybe it's a sign that it should be your next read :-)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I'm going to cut myself some slack here. I learned about this book in 2005 when a customer came in and asked me to order her a copy. I didn't have time to read it then and made a mental note to buy it later. Okay, 2012 was seven years later, when I ran across it at our town's huge used-book store, bought the first copy, and added it to one of my stacks of books. Now it's eight years of "remembering I want that book" and running across a nice copy at the huge bookstore which my bookaholic friend chose as one of our activities of the day while she was in my town. After "remembering" so well for so long, I'd forgotten to "un-remember" it the day I first bought it. Makes a good story, anyway.