Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday Salon ~ theoblogian edition

Just this Sunday afternoon (yes, I'm running late today), I learned a new word:  theoblogian.  I love it!  I'm a reader and a blogger and a word person and a theologian.  That much I knew.  But now that I've found the word, I realize I'm all of those in one.  I'm a theoblogian.  Yes!  I'm also a feminist and just found the Jesus Feminist page on Facebook.  Sarah Bessey has a book by that name coming out in November.  Sounds interesting, though I don't know enough yet to tell you anything about it.

BOOKS

A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master" ~ by Rachel Held Evans, 2012
Pursuing a different virtue each month, Evans learns the hard way that her quest for biblical womanhood requires more than a “gentle and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 3:4).  It means growing out her hair, making her own clothes, covering her head, obeying her husband, rising before dawn, abstaining from gossip, remaining silent in church, and even camping out in the front yard during her period.  See what happens when a thoroughly modern woman starts referring to her husband as “master” and “praises him at the city gate” with a homemade sign.  Learn the insights she receives from an ongoing correspondence with an Orthodox Jewish woman, and find out what she discovers from her exchanges with a polygamist wife.  Join her as she wrestles with difficult passages of scripture that portray misogyny and violence against women.
In trying to send a link to a friend, I discovered I had failed to blog about this book.  I had told you about her first memoir:

Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions ~ by Rachel Held Evans, 2010

And this one today is similar to one I read a couple of years ago:

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible ~ by A. J. Jacobs, 2007

I'll tell you more about Rachel's books when I finish reading them.

The Sunday Salon's Facebook page has links to other blogs.

3 comments:

Ginnie said...

Hi Bonnie: I got in by clicking on the date and time. Then a page came up with "Post a comment" or "Create a link". I chose to post, of course, but I don't ever remember it not saying Post a comment on your front page.
I wanted to ask you if you've read Khaled Hosseini's latest book, "And the Mountains Echoed"? I like his writing a lot and especially getting to know that part of the world through his books. "The Kite Runner" still remains my favorite.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, I haven't read that one yet. I'll check to see if my library has a copy.

I don't know what's going on with the comments. Maybe it was just a bad day? I hope that's all it was.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I always find it interesting when people decide to "live a year" as ... (fill in the blank). I am sure she found some passages difficult to follow!