Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Five: Decisions, Decisions


rising-sun-chair2
A decision from history:  This chair still sits in the Assembly Room of the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall).  Legend has it that it was George Washington's chair, the back carved with a half sun. Benjamin Franklin would look at it and wonder whether it was a rising or a setting sun. Eventually Franklin decided it was the hopeful symbol of the rising sun, a sign of the future of our new republic.

How do you decide?  Which of the following pairs appeals to you most? Share your choices with the RevGalBlogPals.

1)  Sunrise or sunset?
Sunset ~ I grew up watching the sun set behind Lookout Mountain.  I have just moved from St. Elmo, on the eastern side of that mountain, to a part of town where the setting sun shines in the small side window of my new bedroom.
Lookout Mountain beyond Chattanooga

2)  To the mountains or to the beach?
Beach ~ I live surrounded by a bowl of mountains, so I occasionally go TO the beach for vacations.  (But I wouldn't want to live there.)
3)  Coffee or tea?
Tea ~ I've never liked the taste of coffee, but I drink tea all the time.  It's so hot today that I stopped at Walgreen's to buy a bottle of cold tea, discovered it was on sale for half price, and bought four.
4)  Advent or Lent?
Advent ~ Being a joyful person, I like the pink "Joy" candle among the purple ones, representing the four Sundays before Christmas.

5)  "Raindrops on roses" or "whiskers on kittens"?
Whiskers on kittens ~ Even though I didn't know Kiki as a kitten, she was only a year old when I got her, running and very active whether she was playing inside or outside.  Here's a photo that shows her whiskers (click to enlarge).
For those of you who may be concerned by Kiki's Caturday post, she actually likes our new place.

5 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Sunset--I live on the west coast so don't get to see sunrises very easily

Beach--definitely. We have both in Santa Barbara, but knowing the ocean is nearby is a necessity for me every day

No coffee, no tea--I am a water girl

No advent, no lent--except we do enjoy a Cadbury's chocolate advent calendar each year

Raindrops on roses--I have pretty bad cat allergies so I'll go with the flowers. I do like kitties though :-)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, how about a chocolate Easter bunny? Okay, that's at the end of Lent, but same time of year.

Sharon said...

Very nice pics of Washington's chair! I enjoyed reading all of your choices and seeing such a cute pic of your kitty. Thanks for playing today!

Wendy said...

Thanks for including the pictures.

Amy said...

Enjoyed this post...loved the photos!