Saturday, September 1, 2007

Readers Imbibing Peril, RIP-2, challenge

This is simply not my cuppa tea, but just out of curiosity, I decided to read Carl V.'s list of books in Grave Times: The R.I.P. Challenge Finale Newsletter from last year. Whoa! I've read some of these books! Moreover, I have some of these books on my TBR pile. Wait, wait, this is messing with my mind. Maybe I should investigate this challenge, after all. Here are the rules:
R.I.P. II is a September 1st through October 31st celebration of all tales gothic, eerie, creepy, and dark. Tales that one reads in the dark of night, experiencing delicious shivers of terror and suspense at each creak of the floorboards or each gust of wind. As in previous challenges the definition for what type of books fit into this category will be very broad. I would venture to say that there is something for everyone that could count as a R.I.P. book.
Okay, so I'll try Just a Bit of Peril:
Peril the Fourth (otherwise known as Just a Bit of Peril): Some of you wonderful readers, or would-be readers, may have a tendency to shy away from this genre, thinking it is just not your cup of poisoned tea. However, it wouldn’t be a challenge if I wasn’t challenging you. This peril is for those of you who want to take a chance. Simply choose one book that you feel meets the criteria for Readers Imbibing Peril II and, well, imbibe it!
One book. Okay, got it. Ummm, I'll list more than one, just in case I decide to step up to Peril the First, which says: "Read four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose." Who knows? Maybe I'll RIP right through these books! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-hah!

My list for consideration:
1. Coraline ~ by Neil Gaiman
2. The Hot Zone ~ by Richard Preston
3. The Man in the High Castle ~ by Phillip K. Dick
4. The Martian Chronicles ~ by Ray Bradbury
5. The People's Act of Love ~ by James Meek
6. The Secret History ~ by Donna Tartt
7. The Shadow of the Wind ~ by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
8. Something Wicked This Way Comes ~ by Ray Bradbury
9. A Stir of Echoes ~or~ I Am Legend ~ by Richard Matheson
10. Strange Happenings ~ by Avi
11. The Thirteenth Tale ~ by Diane Setterfield ~ also on my Saturday Review of Books list
12. Woman on the Edge of Time ~ by Marge Piercy

5 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Yay! I am so thrilled that you are joining in! You certainly have an amazing list of books to choose from. I'd have a hard time knowing where to start! Looking forward to your reviews of your reading during the challenge.

Stephanie said...

I just LOVE this challenge!! And Carl is a host extraordinaire!! Since it's my favorite time of year, and this is probably my favorite genre!! I'm so glad you decided to join in!

Chris said...

Shadow of the Wind and The Thirteenth Tale are both great. Plus, they're about passionate readers.

Dewey said...

I'm doing Coraline for this challenge! It would be fun to read it together, but I don't have a copy quite yet.

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty good list and it's always good to do something a bit different.