Sunday, June 9, 2019

Books, butterflies, and the color orange

Marie took this photo of me beside a monarch at the Butterfly House today.  It happens to be orange like the orange-flowered shirt I'm wearing to emphasize Wear Orange this weekend (see more on that below).  It was purely accidental that Marie and I happened to go there on World Swallowtail Day, June 9th.  After a couple of hours watching butterflies flutter by, we went to eat at the Boathouse in Forest Park.

On Friday, which was National Wear Orange Day, I invited Donna and our friends Bonnie M. and Juleta to have lunch with me in the Circle@Crown Cafe.  I used this photo to tell people that wearing orange this weekend is all about encouraging our lawmakers to "pass sensible gun laws to prevent senseless murder."  Click to enlarge the photo to see those words on the smaller sign.

The Island of Sea Women ~ by Lisa See, 2019, fiction (Korea), 4/10
"When we go to the sea, we share the work and the danger," Mother added.  "We harvest together, sort together, and sell together, because the sea itself is communal" (p. 18).
The Man in the Ceiling ~ by Jules Feiffer, 1993, fiction, 5/10
"Jimmy had a good memory, but not for that sort of stuff. ... the answers he had to memorize for school had nothing to do with the questions he was interested in.  They had to do with what Mrs. Minnafy and Ms. Hazeltene were interested in" (p. 102).
Sorry, but I can't really recommend either of these books.  'Nuff said.

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.  Other Sunday Salon musings are linked at the bottom of this Readerbuzz post.

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm so glad you are participating in this Wear Orange event. I cannot understand how people can condone the selling of some of these very dangerous guns. They certainly are not designed for hunters. Please continue with this important work.

Sometimes all we need to know is that a book is not worth reading. I often wish I kept a list of DNF books. It would be long. There are many, many books I never finish.

Have a great week.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am sad that you didn't like Island of the Sea Women; I really enjoyed it. Glad you wore orange this weekend!

pussreboots said...

The Island of Sea Women is on my wishlist. I'm celebrating a reading milestone today

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Deb, I finished both books and each DOES have something worth reading, but neither worked for me. Helen, my main problem with The Island of Sea Women was how it jumped back and forth, making it hard for me to keep up with who's related to whom. I liked what I learned about their ability to dive and survive in the frigid water. Maybe it was just the wrong time to read it.

About wearing orange this weekend: I mentioned to a different friend that I would be wearing an orange-flowered blouse, though not solid orange like I'd worn on Friday. She predicted a butterfly might land on me, and Marie did see one land on my back before fluttering away. My other friend (Barbara) had worn blue on her last visit, which apparently attracted several butterflies. Who knew?