Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A story of TWO adoptions

A Home for Copper: A Story of Adoption ~ by Susan Carter, 2014, children's, 10/10
"I was born on a cold, snowy day in an alley."  She is picked up by a dog catcher and put into a cage.  One day, a boy and his parents see her sitting in a corner of her cage, shivering.  Yes, they rescued her and took Copper home with them.
While in Chattanooga last week to visit my family, I met the author of this book.  This is a true story, she told me.  The dedication page says:  "This is dedicated to Copper, the most amazng dog I have ever known.  And to Gabriel, my son, who has made my journey sweeter."  The little boy in the book just happens to be named Gabe.

As one who is in the process of adopting a rescued cat, I loved the book.  When I got home to St. Louis, I went back to Animal House to visit the little black cat I'd met before my trip.  She accepted me and is going through the process with the vet of getting chipped and taken care of before she comes to live with me in a couple of days.  Animal House called her by a different name, but the little kitty will become Clawdia.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I am so happy for both of you! Clawdia is a great name. She looks like she could use some of your special cat attention.

Joy said...

What big eyes she has! Looks like Clawdia will be a great pal!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Clawdia's eyes may look big because she's such a small adult cat. Maybe she was the runt of the litter. She's about six years old and doesn't weigh over seven pounds.