Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday Salon ~ Kindle and family

KINDLE LIBRARY

2.  The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently ... and Why ~ by Richard Nisbett, 2003, psychology (critical thinking)
I'm more than halfway through this one and, though it's deep, I'm enjoying it so far.  It makes me think.
1.  The Story of a Pioneer ~ by Anna Howard Shaw, 1915, memoir, 8/10
I've already finished this one for my book club meeting on Tuesday.  It wasn't particularly interesting to me, but I did finish it.
3.  Anna Karenina ~ by Leo Tolstoy, 1877, fiction (Russia)
Once again, I have totally bogged down trying to slog through this long, long novel.  I abandoned it a few years ago and still hope to read all of it this time.
6.  The Universe Is Calling: Opening to the Divine Through Prayer ~ by Eric Butterworth, 1993, religion
I'm reading Butterworth's Discover the Power Within You (1968) for a group discussion and wanted to know how his thinking about prayer had evolved between 1968 and 1993.
4.  Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe ~ by Robert Lanza and Bob Berman, 2009, biology
A new paradigm which switches perspective from physics to biology.  Berman says life is not an accidental byproduct of the laws of physics.
5.  Booth Girls: A Love Story ~ by Joan Uda, 2013, fiction (Iowa), 10/10
Loved this one, which I read straight through.  Click on the title to read about the book.
I had trouble deciding what to call a section of this post about adding books to my new Kindle.  It isn't exactly "bookstore bounty" or "library loot" or "Monday mail."  Since these are the books I have now added to my Kindle library, why not simply "Kindle Library"?  Duh.

FAMILY

Today is my oldest granddaughter's 28th birthday.  She's on the right, with her younger brother and sister.  Happy birthday, Cali!

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

No comments: