Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pickpocket, toolsmith, or professional nose ~ what's your job?

"The mind boggles at how many forks on the road of life are possible to lead us to different careers."

That sentence stood out for me as I read an article about peculiar professions at AbeBooks.com.  And there are many jobs in the article:  brushmaking, professional pickpocket, airline stewardess (an old book that's 50+ years old).  And from the comments I gathered these:  artisan blacksmith, worm farmer, bovine podiatrist, and "professional nose."  Yes, that's what she said.  Two more jobs from the book cover used to illustrate the article:  toolsmith and steelworker.

My baby sister was born when I was almost five years old.  That's when I decided to be a nurse in a hospital and work with babies.  That lasted until I learned nurses don't get to sit around playing with babies.  In first grade, I wanted to be a teacher.  In third grade, it was magician.  In fifth grade, I was planning to be a doctor healing people in the Belgium Congo.  (Revealing my age, aren't I?)  I ended up a stay-at-home mom, until I was divorced and finished college, at which time I worked as a "manpower planner" (no longer a politically correct job description).

Over time, I became an editor of two in-house publications; an instructor doing management training; a freelance writer published locally, nationally, and internationally; an ordained minister; an adjunct college teacher; and a bookstore owner.  Oh, yeah, I was also a library assistant while in college and at one point had a part-time job stuffing the comics and advertising in the Sunday newpapers as they came rolling along a conveyer belt.  I'm a walking collection of former jobs and careers, many if not most having something to do with books and words.  I keep remembering other jobs, like drawing the illustrations for a couple of books when I was in my 20s, and being a file clerk after school when I was in my mid-teens.

What's the strangest or most interesting job you've ever done or heard of?  At what age did you decide on whatever it is you now do for a living?
__________

ADDED an hour later:

I've found what I want to be, if and when I ever grow up!  I want to be a Diction Fairy like this one.  Books and words, as I said earlier.  Yep, the diction fairy covers those.

3 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I updated this post: I've found what I want to be, if and when I ever grow up! I want to be a Diction Fairy like this one. Books and words, as I said earlier. Yep, the diction fairy covers those.

Jan said...

I love that Diction Fairy!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Me, too, Jan! It looks like a lot of work to make that particular costume, though, with its many pages spread out for the wings and more pages curled below as part of her tutu. Thus, it seems to involve the destruction of a book to make it.