Thursday, July 28, 2011

BTT (#10) ~ night owl

btt button asks if we're night owls.
What’s the latest you’ve ever stayed up reading a book? Is staying up late reading a usual thing for you?
I am not a morning person.  Nope, not at all.  I can do mornings when necessary, but I'd rather stay up late (reading, of course) and then sleep late in the morning.  Now that I'm retired, I can do that on a regular basis.  Okay, I'll admit that I read late into the night even when I had to get up early to get my three kids off to school and me off to work.  I got by on little sleep rather frequently, but it's harder to do that now that I'm in my 70s.

The question specifically asks what's the latest I've ever stayed up reading.  I've stayed up all night.  Yes, not a wink the whole night through.  Reading, yes.

The owl collection around my house could represent night owls, though I like owls because Athena had one.  She's the goddess of wisdom, you know, and is represented by an owl.  I fancy myself in the wise-old-woman (i.e., crone) stage of my life.  For awhile, Hedwig, the snowy owl who delivered mail in the first Harry Potter book, hung from the ceiling at my house.  It had wings extended (like this picture) and would bounce around when I gave it a bit of a lift and let go.  I gave that one to my best friend, who considers herself the number-one HP fan -- she bought the current HP book at midnight when we owned a bookstore and would be selling them the next day.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am absolutely a morning person! I am asleep by 9:30 during the work week, but I have stayed up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning a couple times to finish books that I just couldn't put down (probably Harry Potter books)

Marg said...

I have been known to stay up late reading until 4 or 5am. Not often and not for a while now, but it has happened! Love it when a book grabs you so much that you have to do that!

Ryan said...

I've been known to stay up all night and well into the next day. If the book really grabs me there no tearing me away.