Monday, August 24, 2026

The power of imagined experiences

Having been a life-long reader (I'm 86 years old now), I was fascinated by a recent article from Reader's Digest entitled "Here's the Scientific Reason We're Drawn to Certain Books — And What Each Genre Does to Your Brain" (found HERE).  So what exactly does each genre do to your brain?  (I read all four of their categories.)  Here what the article claims:

Mystery and Thriller
  • Stimulates regions involved in tracking clues and predicting outcomes.
  • Forces the brain to build theories, test them, and impose order on uncertainty.
Fantasy and Sci-Fi
  • Activates the sensory and motor cortices to simulate unreal worlds and actions.
  • Provides heavy escapism, triggering dopamine and serotonin to soothe anxious thoughts.
Literary Fiction
  • Exercises the brain's default mode network, boosting theory-of-mind and social cognition.
  • Enhances your ability to understand complex human perspectives and internal reflections.
Nonfiction and History
  • Strengthens analytical thinking, logical pattern recognition, and memory retention.
  • Slows long-term cognitive decline by building rigid semantic and factual networks.

No comments: