Sunday, May 5, 2024

A week of wisdom, love, rainbows, consciousness, and celebration

Words of Wisdom ~ edited by Louis Untermeyer, 1968, sayings, 46 pages, 8/10
These quotes are from the last page of this tiny book and not spoilers:

   It was an unknown Persian philosopher who pointed out the way of wisdom.
... He said:
    He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
Shun him.
    He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child.
Teach him.
    He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep.
Wake him.
    He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise.
Follow him.

For You with Love ~ by Louis Untermeyer, illustrated by Joan Walsh Anglund, 1961, poem, 20 pages, 8/10
My daughters were in town this past week, so they helped me get a bunch of stuff out of my storage unit, which is mostly full of books.  This lovely little book (a mere 20 pages) may have been the one in which I found a card with this inscription from me "to my favorite Mother!"
Noah and the Very First Rainbow: Did You Know Bible Story ~ by Sunny Griffin, illustrated by Donna Lee, 1994, children, 48 pages, 9/10

This series of books is designed so children can point out the main person or object in each story.

Cosmic Consciousness: A Study on the Evolution of the Human Mind
~ by Richard Maurice Bucke, 1901, evolution, 114 pages

Pictured is the hardback copy, but the one I found in my storage unit this week is a paperback that I bought on August 16, 2001 and read by the next day.  I wrote on the back page:
I read this book 20-30 years ago, and it was much thicker — I still have that copy somewhere, in some box.
To see what I have shared about this book in previous blog posts, click HERE.

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo, whick means "fifth of May" in Spanish, commemorates the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.  It is celebrated by Mexicans and Mexican-Americans.  (Sorry, folks, I hope using a cat in this context doesn't offend you.  This illustration just struck me as funny.)

Deb at Readerbuzz hosts The Sunday Salon.

3 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Looks like a nice collection of books this week.

Helen's Book Blog said...

What nice positive books you are highlighting this week! I hope you're doing well.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

How wonderful to bring home books you haven't probably seen in a while! I love the quote books especially.