Saturday, November 3, 2018

I live alone ~ with Clawdia

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS TAG?

This keyring tag was created because of countless stories of people who lived alone being involved in an emergency situation where they were unable to return home for an extended period of time to care for their pets, and their pets suffered as a result.  This happens more often then you'd think, and it's a problem we think we can solve.  Imagine this scenario:
If you were involved in a car accident and were non-responsive for a few days, how would first responders know you have pets at home that need to be fed and let out?  An ER nurse shared a story of an elderly woman who was involved in a car accident and was in a coma for six days.  The first thing she said when she woke up was, "I have cats at home."  She instructed this nurse to call a neighbor to get into her house and check on her cats.  Luckily the cats were okay, but that isn't always the case.
This goal of this bright yellow key ring tag is to direct first responders to your Emergency Contact Card in your purse or wallet.  That card will have the name and number of the person who should be contacted in case of emergency to care for your pets while you are unable to do so.  We never know when we'll find ourselves in an emergency situation, so we want to be prepared.  Get your tag here.

This looks like a great idea.  I think my friends here at the Crown Center for Senior Living would quickly think of Clawdia ... IF ... they know I'm missing.  But that isn't a sure thing, and it could be days before even my best friend might know I'm missing.  Even worse, she could be in a wreck with me, and no one would know.  So I think I'll have to get an Emergency Pet Keyring Tag.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

What a wonderful idea! I've often thought about the pets of people who live alone in my neighborhood and am so glad to hear they have back up plans, but emergency people don't know about them.