Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Library Loot ~ eBook supplemented

Bending Toward the Sun: A Mother and Daughter Memoir ~ by Leslie Gilbert-Lurie with Rita Lurie, 2009
This memoir explores an emotional legacy — forged in the terror of the Holocaust — that has shaped three generations of lives.  Leslie Gilbert-Lurie tells the story of her mother, Rita, who like Anne Frank spent years hiding from the Nazis, and whose long-hidden pain shaped both her daughter's and granddaughter’s lives.  Bringing together the stories of three generations of women, she reveals how deeply the Holocaust lives in the hearts and minds of survivors and their descendants.
In case you wonder about my subject line, the supplement is this memoir.  I bought it for my Kindle and discovered "Rita's Family Tree" on the page before the Prologue.  It's hard to read the 50 to 60 family names on the  chart in the library's hardback copy, but absolutely impossible for me to read them on my small Kindle.  So I borrowed the book from the library to run off a page of the family tree and to get a look at the many photos scattered throughout the book.  Sometimes an actual book works better than the electronic version.  At least, it does for me.
Understanding the Bible: An Introduction for Skeptics, Seekers, and Religious Liberals ~ by John A Buehrens, 2003
This introductory book is designed to help empower skeptics, seekers, nonbelievers, and those of a liberal and progressive outlook to reclaim the Bible from literalists.  In making accessible some of the best contemporary historical, literary, political, and feminist readings of the Hebrew and Christian scriptures, it encourages all who would find in the biblical heritage an ally and not an enemy in the quest for a more just and humane world.  Four preliminary chapters on the why, who, which, and how of biblical understanding are followed by eight brief thematic chapters covering the core of the Hebrew Bible and six covering the Christian scriptures.
Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire @ The Captive Reader and Linda @ Silly Little Mischief that encourages us to share the names of books we checked out of the library.  See what others got this week.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Enjoy your loot!

Beth said...

I've been known to get both versions. Right now I have a giant 600 pages out, and I got the ebook so I could read it outside the house without ripping up my book bag. But I prefer pages if I get a chance. I love libraries that give me that option!

Helen's Book Blog said...

This memoir sounds interesting; I find it fascinating how the horrors of one generation can affect future generations. I have 2 friends who are sisters and their parents both survived the Holocaust as children. It is interesting to see how the survivors deal with it as well as their children