Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Salon ~ my friend, the author

BOOKS
St. Louis: Yesterday and Today ~ by Betty Burnett, 2009, history
This author was a new friend before I realized she had published several books.  I met Betty in my new face-to-face book club in June, had lunch with her recently, and was delighted when she joined my discussion group that's studying We Make the Road by Walking: A Year-Long Quest for Spiritual Formation, Reorientation, and Activation by Brian D. McLaren (2014).  I checked out one of Betty's glossy, coffee table books from the library and have been learning more about my new town.
Selected Writings of Bahá'u'lláh ~ translated by Shoghi Effendi, 1979, religion
My copy looks similar to this one, but it's apparently older than any cover photos Google can find.  I found this book at McKay's in Chattanooga shortly before moving, and bought it because I've never studied the religion in depth even though I taught religions of the world for years as an adjunct at Chattanooga State.  I took it off the shelf and started reading when Betty Burnett mentioned one of the residents here in our apartment building is of the Bahá'í faith.  I love the diversity among my new neighbors!
When Children Ask About God: A Guide for Parents Who Don't Always Have All the Answers ~ by Harold S. Kushner, 1989, religion
My new friend Sheila brought me a book to read that she thinks I'd like.  I'm sure I will, since I've read nearly everything Harold Kushner has written, including When Bad Things Happen to Good People (1981).  This week, I found out Sheila has written the lyrics for several musicals, including one that is being revived in St. Louis this year.  I hope it works out that I'll be able to attend.
Goodnight June ~ by Sarah Jio, 2014, fiction (Seattle, Washington), 10/10
I finished this novel in a couple of days and rated it a 10 out of 10 because I couldn't put it down.  On Friday, I wrote about the book's first lines, if you want to read more about it.  I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoyed the beloved children's book Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.  The author imagines a bookstore owner who was "Brownie's" friend and the inspiration for her moon book.

FAMILY NEWS

My granddaughter has announced that the twins she's expecting are boys.  I had never heard of a "gender reveal" party, but it must be a thing these days.  Their cake was half pink and half blue, but only cutting into it "revealed" blue circles that were baked inside.

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

No comments: