Friday, July 11, 2014

Two book beginnings ~ one book

Unless ~ by Carol Shields, 2002, fiction (Canada)
It happens that I an going through a period of great unhappiness and loss just now.
This is a novel about an author.  Here's the synopsis of the book:
Reta Winters, 44-year-old successful author of lightsummertime fiction, has always considered herself happy, even blessed. That is, until her oldest daughter Norah mysteriously drops out of college to become a panhandler on a Toronto street corner — silent, with a sign around her neck bearing the word "Goodness."
Because she's a writer, I can even share a second "book beginning" this week, the one dreamed up by the main character in the book.  Here's a quote from early in the book (p. 15):
I'm going to write a second novel, a sequel to My Thyme Is Up.  Today is the day I intend to begin.  The first sentence is already tapped into my computer:  "Alicia was not as happy as she deserved to be."
So which "first sentence" intrigues you most, the one by Carol Shields?  Or the one by her book's protagonist?


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.  Click here for today's Mister Linky.

5 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

After reading the book's opening, I'd keep reading to find out what is causing the character's great unhappiness and loss. That sentence grabbed me more than the protagonist's first sentence. I'm definitely curious about why her daughter became a panhandler! Sounds like a fascinating story.
Here's the link to my Friday post: WHAT MATTERS MOST.

Claudia {Sparrowhawk} said...

This sounds like something I would most certainly read. The book beginning was especially intriguing, I love authors who are raw and candid in their writing. Thanks for sharing!

Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

Anonymous said...

I think both sparked my interest :)

My BB & 56 

Elizabeth said...

I am going to go for the one about already being tapped in a computer. :)

Thanks for sharing. Quite interesting beginnings.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I like the quote from Shields best. I totally want to know what is going on with her daughter.