Friday, August 12, 2011

Beginning ~ with humor

Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America ~ by Firoozeh Dumas, 2003, memoir (California), 9/10
"When I was seven, my parents, my fourteen-year-old brother, Farshid, and I moved from Abadan, Iran, to Whittier, California.  Farid, the older of my two brothers, had been sent to Philadelphia the year before to attend high school.  Like most Iranian youths, he had always dreamed of attending college abroad and, despite my mother's tears, had left us to live with my uncle and his American wife.  I, too, had been sad at Farid's departure, but my sorrow soon faded — not coincidentally, with the receipt of a package from him.  Suddenly, having my brother on a different continent seemed like a small price to pay for owning a Barbie complete with a carrying case and four outfits, including the rain gear and mini umbrella."
I love her sense of humor.  Having a Barbie is, of course, much more important to a six-year-old than having a big brother at home.  I consider this an excellent book beginning.

 
If you want to play along, this meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading. (Sometimes it takes several sentences to get the full thought.) Then, share your impressions of that beginning.  Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's so cute!

Helen's Book Blog said...

I just finished this book a couple days ago and really enjoyed it. I even laughed out loud more than once, always a good thing. I hope you like it

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Your post about it, dear Helen, was the reason I put the book on reserve at my library and got it immediately. Thanks.